Missouri Show Me - Ammo!

Discussion in 'South Central USA' started by Mr-Happy, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Mr-Happy

Mr-Happy Lefty

St. Louis here. Waiting out the hysteria and avarice. Was told the CCW trainers are responsible for the lack of .22lr in bulk packs - they didn't want to cancel classes because of limited ammo. Heck of a time to have upgraded to a Mark II Government Target.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Ruger Talk Forum !!

...timing is everything !! ;)

3. Will

Will New Member

i don't think the CCW trainers are to blame anywhere near as much as "preppers" are. I cannot speak for anywhere else, but around here bringing a .22 to a CCW class is asking to be criticized. Besides, most CCW classes say you bring your own gun and ammo.

4. randym03

randym03 New Member

I went to a gun show this past weekend and they were trying to sell the bulk Remington 22 lr for 85 dollars a box of 525. Those are the idiots that were buying it up. I asked Dunhams what days their trucks come in. I found out they get one locally on Wed. and Thurs.. So I started calling on those mornings and finally got some last Thurs. I was happy to tell my brother out loud in front of those dealers that I had just bought a box for 19.99.. Then I told the guys standing around how to do it. It pissed him off, but made a lot of other folks happy. Plus Dunhams and walmart here are only allowing one box of bulk ammo per customer per day. This should gradually stop this craziness.

5. RugerRon60

RugerRon60 New Member

+1 Randym03, I was at a GS a while back and seen a Sub 2000 carbine I have been wanting from Kel-Tec, the MSRP os $409.00 on the Kel-Tec website, cheaper than in real life. Well dealer had one on the table, I ask the guy about it he raised it up proudly and said $895.00. I said thats $500.00 over MSRP! He said they are hard to find if you want it you will pay. I just looked at him and said you a disgrace to the gun community and walked away. Now I understand paying a little higher price for hard to get items heck I would have paid a few hundred over even, not $500 over MSRP. No way, not for a $400.00 gun. It's just a cheap carbine not a collectors item!

6. bayoujackson

bayoujackson New Member

Like shooter13 said.........Timing is everything! I haven't had any problems getting 22 bulk, other than having to be one of the first to get get in line at Academy 2 hours before store opens and being there on the days it happens to come in. Same goes for 9mm, 223/556, 380, and 45ACP. They allow one box of a caliber (box of 50 counts same as box of 1400) and up to three calibers per day.
    Here CCW classes, require the individual taking the class, to bring their own gun and ammo. It can be any caliber handgun from 22 on up and 36 rounds of ammo for the gun they are using in the class.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  7. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

You can buy 22 LR on line for $38 for 500 rounds. I think the hoarders have slowed down on buying.

8. Still Too High, Too High!
    I'm waiting for prices to get closer to normal the way primers have.

9. buster40c

buster40c Active Member

When I got my CHL the smallest caliber that could be used for the class was 9mm. You also had to take the class with a semi-auto because back then in Texas taking the class with a revolver only permitted the CHL for carrying a revolver. Using a semi-auto permitted the CHL to carry any type legal handgun. I don't believe at the time there were any CHL classes that allowed using a 22lr. I imagine there were some for the elderly wanting to get their permits.
    As far as 22lr ammo availability goes I imagine the hoarders finally realized they have more than enough stockpiled now which is also possible reason for more being available now. My LGS has all the 22lr a person could want and in many brands even. No limit either.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I paid $25.99 for Winchester 555 Bricks at Dick's Sporting Goods ( Limit 2 bricks per day ) yesterday and today...2,220 rounds scored !!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  11. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Isit really ok to do a CCW class with a .22? Sounds like cheating. How about a .17?:)

12. Sounds like you guys up north are doing better on .22 LR availability than we are on this end of the country.
    Hopefully it will 'trickle down' to us.
    Maybe people down south are shooting more this time of year? (We get a little snow about every 50 years and cold is 40 degrees in my area).

$25.99 is a fair enough price for that ammo. :) I'd buy it. :Cooltu:

13. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

What's wrong with a 22? It will stop someone.

14. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Eventually, but will it in enough time. Like for instance someone hopped up on meth?

15. buster40c

buster40c Active Member

Shooter 13 how many rounds do you figure you have stockpiled now?
    I paid $25 for my Federal 40 grain solid 1240 fps 500 rnd brick.
    Mag if you get up around Cypress, TX check out AGR Outdoors and load up on 22 lr ammo. No limits.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  16. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

Got an e mail today offering 325 for $24.99.