Featured Ruger Security 9

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by RFF, Dec 22, 2017.

1. RFF

RFF Member

Model: 3810

Caliber: 9mm Luger

Capacity: 15+1

Barrel Length: 4"

Overall Length: 7.24"

MSRP: $379.00

2. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

Seriously, I was headed to the LCS today to buy a RAP 9mm, but now Ruger has me confused. The RS9 looks like everything I want in an all round 9mm. The only thing I am going to research is the durability of the aluminum rail. I have an LCP with that chassis, but I doubt I have put over 100 rounds thru it in several years. Light weight 1911s have aluminum frames - never heard of one of those wearing out.

RFF likes this.

3. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

Received a new S9 today. Not going say much about it until 2000 rounds, but just dry firing I love the trigger and there is no striker to worry about. The barrel is not stainless and the frame rail is aluminum; so it looks like it will require more maintenance than the RAP. It came with a thin film of grease on the frame rails. I had already planned to keep good lube on those aluminum rails.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    RFF likes this.
  4. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

More observations on the S[ec]9.

The S9 has a longer barrel than my RAPC, but has a shorter sight radius. The S9's rear sight slopes forward, making the radius shorter. Never noticed this on another pistol, but it makes it snag free when drawing. Also, the accessory rail has smooth sides and do not catch on clothing like my RAPC. Have 200 rounds, including steel, aluminum and lswc reloads with no failures.

I hit a man sized steel plate 5 out 6 times resting the pistol against a post with the S9; I have a tougher time at that range with the RAPC. I thought, well I really like the S9 trigger, and I assumed it may have also been because it had a longer sight radius. That is when I discovered it was actually shorter.

RFF likes this.
  5. RFF

RFF Member

Thank you for your hands on report on the S9! Looking forward to anymore you may have.