Ruger LCP "break in" period

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by kahoolawe, Jun 30, 2017.

1. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

What's the typical break in period for a new Ruger LCP?
    When I first shot mine, I had 4-5 ejection failures during my first 100 rounds.
    I just took my new Kahr .45 to the range with the same results.
    Ranger dude told me that Kahr & Ruger are cheap guns and jam a lot.
    But, I've been hearing that both are great guns and reliable.

Is my issue typical during the first 100 rounds?

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Member

200 rounds on the LCP. You will find better performance if you change the guide rod & springs ($20).

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

:)

"Ranger dude" may have been pulling your leg.

I'm not sure of the provenance of 'break-in periods' with most production guns. I've never experienced one. Not familiar with that Kahr; the FTEs with the LCP may stem from the fact that the gun ain't all that easy to get a firm grip on. If it moves much in your hand when fired, you get the same effect that 'limp wristing' does. The whole gun moves back too much, not just the slide. If the slide doesn't go back full travel, the ejector may not poke the case all the way out.

Even if the gun doesn't really need a break-in period, sometimes the shooter does. Muckle onto that thing.

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Member

My Glock 42 required a similar break-in. Sometimes it is also the under powered .380 ammo. A stainless steel guide rod and new Wolff springs will solve the LCP issue.

5. greg_r

greg_r Member

Kahr recommends a 200 round break in period. I don't remember hearing about any "official" word from Ruger about recommended break in period.

Don't know if I have the exact models as you, but I own the LCPII and the CW45. The LCP II I fired 500 rounds(my standard) through it before I started carrying it. Since then it typically gets fired at least 19 times per week, 3 magazines plus the 1 in the chamber. It has had exactly 0 failures.

The CW45 went through the same 500 rounds before I started carrying it. It had exactly 1 failure. The magazine dropped when my nephew was shooting it. It has not happened again, and it also gets shot weekly. I really believe my nephew hit the mag release.

FWIW, I also have a Kahr CT380. It has had a bunch of failures. It only likes "hot" ammunition. I handload and it has never seen a factory round, Feed it what it likes and it purrs along like a kitten, feed it less than a maximum load and it has functioning issues.

6. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

Appreciate all of the responces, everyone. I'll keep breaking it in, for sure. I love the Kahr and the Ruger. Not thrilled about the jams, but hopefully some is user error. I'll work on improving my hold/grip as well.

7. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

What brand and grain of ammo were you shooting? The weak stuff can contribute greatly to FTEs.

I typically shoot 100 rounds to "break-in" a handgun.

My LCPII has had zero FTF/FTEs using Browning range ammo. And my 14-year-old and 10-year-old loved shooting the little bugger. Great BUG.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1498944117.120404.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1498944151.305404.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1498944295.568184.jpg

8. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 New Member

Kahr doesn't make cheap guns, but they recommend 200 round break in period. I would say 200 for the LCP also. Unless you have a malfunction in the second 100 rounds. Then I bump it 300, etc.

9. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

Ironically I did already have the 13lb Wolff springs installed and stainless guide rod. Put them in before ever shooting it.
    Galloway trigger as well.

My gun dealer (Glock man) said Ruger and Kahr are low end guns and a Glock would solve my issues.
    Range guy said my Kahr was cheap/junk. Geez.

Attached Files:

10. Kevbun

Kevbun New Member

Had a LCP never had an ejection issue. Traded up to an LCP II. Yesterday was the first time I shot it. 100 rounds of Remington ammo. Had 8 ejection issues.

11. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

My LCP was something I dearly loved. But I did finally decide to sell it.
    I bought a Glock 42 and I do pocket carry it, despite it being not as easy to pocket as my former LCP. I do miss the LCP for it's "better concealment", but I love the Glock 42's fit/finish/comfort, etc...