Problem with viewing attached images

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Heater, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Heater

Heater New Member

Despite making sure that I have enable viewing of attached images in my user controls, I am getting a little blue question mark on posts with attached images, including my own recent post to which I attached a jpg image. If I right-click on the question mark icon and select "open in a new window" it get a new window from RugerTalk which tells me I need to log in to view the image, despite the fact that up in the corner it shows I am currently logged in.

Other photos are visible, which I believe must be those linked to hosting websites such as PhotoBucket.

Any suggestions?

Also, I am regularly getting "logged out" when I move from page to page in threads, but not in any consistent pattern. Happens at least once a visit.

2. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Your best bet is to download the pic onto your computer, then simply click on the "manage attachment" below the reply box. From there, simply click on the photo you want, upload it, and the image is displayed. Keep in mind that by doing it this way, you need to have at least ten characters in the text box.

3. Heater

Heater New Member

Do you mean for photos I want to post? That is what I have done and others can see the photo, but not me (see "Post any photo thread" where I put up a "Stones vs. Beatles" image). This image is one I already had on my computer and I followed the process for posting it, it indicates it is there, others can see it, but I get the blue question mark.

For images attached by others, I get the log-in instructions if I try to open the image, and can't use the "manage attachment" feature at that point.

The images i can see, I am assuming, are not "attached" from someone's computer but linked to a web location. So in a thread such as Revolver photos, some images are visible, some are not. Example: the first photo in the thread, for a Vaquero, I only get the blue question mark. But I can see the Vaquero photo that is in the second post of that thread.

So I will now attach a 6.5kb jpg file of a Rossi M85, having used the manage attachments dialogue box and look at the results.

BTW, after once again trying to open a "blue question mark" file and getting the log-in pop-up, I returned to the previous page and saw under my log-in icon that I had a new "like." When I clicked on it, it took me to the "like" info page for me, but also logged me out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. Heater

Heater New Member

As expected, I get my post, but with a blue question mark. The uploaded file was from my own computer. So if you can see it, I don't know why I can't. Haven't had this problem with other discussion boards when posting photos on this same computer. :confused:

Having just noticed that in the thread listing for this section that there is a "paperclip" icon in the thread box indicating there are attachments, when I click on that and get the pop-up box listing the attachments, I can open the file of the Rossi that way, but still not from within the post itself.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  5. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Just confirming that you are on a smart phone app?

If so, there has been an inherent problem with this app. I would recommend uninstalling it, then re-installing it. many members claim this works wonders.

6. Heater

Heater New Member

Nope ... don't even own a smart phone. I'm on a MacBook Pro.

7. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Are you using Internet Explorer? I would suggest trying another Internet Provider. I use Google Chrome myself and love it, but Mac is a box of their own, and I don't know much about them, so I am only guessing if you have such an option. Try various versions because I have a feeling this is something on your end, and is blocking images.

8. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Can you get me screen shot of what you're seeing?

9. Heater

Heater New Member

Well, if I knew how I would. That is something I will ask my wife about.

But here's the latest -- I have no problem viewing images of any kind when logged into KTOG, including that jpg of the Rossi 85 I posted in the Other Guns forum.

Also, while at work today, I logged in via my work PC, both via Explorer and via Firefox browsers. Same exact problems as with the Mac at home -- try to view an attached photo and I get the registration form and I get logged out. My Mac uses Safari, so it doesn't seem to be browser or platform based.

Just now I logged in here and again went back to the control panel to double-check the settings. Yes, viewing of images was checked. To see what would happen, I unchecked "display images" and updated the settings. Then I went to a photo heavy thread. Now with all posts that had images I had hot link icons or text that told me there was an image, either an "attached image" and info on the format (such as jpg) and file size, or a web address (usually for a Photobucket file). This was in the place of either the "blue question mark" I had been getting for the former or the image for the latter.

In both these cases, now that "display images" was disabled, if I clicked on the hot link, I could now get the image to come up in a separate window or tab. Remember, before if I right-clicked to try to open a "blue question mark" or an "attached image" icon, I was instead given a new window with the registration box, and usually logged out in the process.

So the disabled "view images" at least allows me access to images uploaded from a member's computer by an extra step, though it also means I have to do the same to view web-linked images. In the scheme of life, not a big deal but an odd situation.

Since it doesn't happen over on KTOG and does happen on both PC and Mac and multiple browsers, there is something going on in the software somewhere -- maybe it just doesn't like me! :rolleyes:

10. Heater

Heater New Member

Okay, googled how to do a screen shot on a MacBook and we'll see if I can attach it from my desktop. I went in, reset my options to "show images" and, of course, got the "blue question marks" when I opened the "Any pictures" thread:

Attached Files:

11. Heater

Heater New Member

At the least, I've learned a new technique on the computer. :cool:

12. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Heater, give it another shot. I checked your settings and you had the "show images" turned off in your settings. I changed it and your images should pop up correctly now.

13. Heater

Heater New Member

The above posts explains why "show images" was disabled. I replied to your private message regarding this. Turning on "show images" puts me back at square one.

14. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Do you have the remember me box checked?