Picked up another P95 yesterday

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Nick, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Nick

Nick Armed

I had recently been carrying a Taurus Ultralite 38sp, but I'm not really much of a revolver guy so I traded it for a P95. I used to own one last year but sold it for some cash needed for a move. I forgot how much I loved this pistol. Ill never let it go again, and ill probably carry it for a little till I buy another Glock 26.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BLKRIFLE

BLKRIFLE Retired Postal and Air Force and avid reloader

You picked a good one. Carried one for bout 2 years on the SO then went to P98 for the .45 ACP round.

3. rjf1070

rjf1070 New Member

That's a beauty. How was it on price? I just picked up a new P95 with the chrome slide for $329.00. Just curious as to if I got a good deal. It's my first Ruger.

4. jrc

jrc New Member

I think you did pretty well rjf - list on mine was 379.00, but I traded in a P85.

5. Nick

Nick Armed

I even traded a Taurus Ultralite revolver that cost me about $315

6. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I use to own a P95....it was an awesome gun....I traded it in on my SR9......to be honest....there was nothing wrong with the P95....just had new gun fever.....lol

7. Nick

Nick Armed

I get that all the time. I call it new gun a.d.d. Haha

8. weblance

weblance New Member

I wanted a P85 shortly after they came out. When I finally had the money, the P89 had replaced the 85, so I bought a KP89 decocker. I sold it to a friend in a moment of weakness. I tried for years to buy it back, and when I finally realized he wasnt going to sell it back, I bought a KP95. I have shot the 95 and the 89 side by side and the 95 is much more accurate than my original 89, and has a shorter barrel. I decided that I needed another 95, so now I have a matched pair. The P95 is simply one of the best pistols ever made.

I used my P95 to qualify for my CHL. This picture shows 100 rounds, from 3, 7, and 10 yards. Left handed at 3 yards and 5 shots right handed from the hip, was a real challenge. The tape covers earlier shots from the first part of qualifying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dreamthief

Dreamthief GP100 Gunslinger

Those are nice looking guns. I'll have to check them out!

10. jrc

jrc New Member

I think I'd like my P95 just slightly better if it didnt' have that silver serial number tag.

Haven't looked - is it somewhere else on gun ( serial No.)? I'd sure like to take if off.

11. weblance

weblance New Member

No it is not.​

12. jrc

jrc New Member

Thanks - guess it stays.

I'll have to learn to love it.

13. amizelle

amizelle New Member

I'm glad you guys like it but I am really disappointed in mine. I traded a S&W SW9VE for it because I didn't like the trigger pull on the Smith and I did like the ambidextrious safety on hte Ruger (I'm a lefty....). But I have not yet fired a complete 15 rd. magazine without at least 2 jams and I have put a couple of hundred rounds through it. I took it back to the dealer and he "couldn't find anything wrong with it".

He told me I needed to learn to hold it....I otld him I'd been shooting pistols for 30 years and I didn't need a pistol that I had to hold my mouth a certain way to make it fire.

It's a beautiful firearm but worthless because I don't trust it. I much prefer shooting my Hi-Point .380. Yep. I said it, lol!

14. PecosBill

PecosBill New Member

Congrats on the re-discovery. I have the P-95 and love shooting it. I'm not fond of the de-cocker but other than that I love the thing. :)

15. rimfire

rimfire New Member

Good choice.....great gun.I shoot mine regularly and it has never gave me a seconds problem with any ammo.I keep it under the seat of my every day driver.Just a fun rugged pistol that functions simple and easy to shoot.

16. Heater

Heater New Member

I'd been doing most of my 9mm range practice with my XD-9sc the past couple years, but over Xmas I had a nice day to go to a nearby range and decided to pull out my KP95DC that I've had since '99 or so. Had a great time getting reacquainted and it shot great -- not a hiccup, not that it ever had in the past either.

The biggest thing to keep in mind for me was the decocker vs. the XD's grip safety/trigger set-up, but I actually like the decocker.

17. JaPes

JaPes New Member

OP,

Your story is similar to my own. Had a P95, let it go to thinking I could find better. Nothing compared, so I bought a stainless one. Congrats on reacquiring a great pistol.

If you've been shooting for 30 years, then the probability you're limp wristing the P95 is low. When it "jams" what exactly are you experiencing? Failure to eject? Failure to extract? Failure to feed? Double feed? Does it happen with a specific magazine, or any magazine you use?

IMO, dealers helping with a malfunctioning pistol is hit-or-miss. None want to acknowledge the existence of an intermittent function issue on a gun they sold because they don't want to deal with it. Call Ruger Customer Service.

My P95 had failure to feed issues right out of the box. It would not chamber the first round of a fully loaded mag. Ruger customer service asked me a few pointed questions to try and resolve the issue over the phone. They then sent me a pre-paid UPS label to ship it back to them for diagnostic and repair. It took 11 business days (including shipping transit) to get it fixed. Ruger even sent me a gun cloth and a thank you note for being a customer.

My P95 is now problem free.

18. amizelle

amizelle New Member

Fails to feed and it is the same with both magazines. I have not talked to Ruger yet but that is the next step.

19. JaPes

JaPes New Member

My problem too. When you send your P95 to Ruger, send the mags too.

20. PecosBill

PecosBill New Member

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with it. Did you put your right foot out in front of you and point your big toe up? LOL I hate people that tell us long time shooters about how to hold the gun. Maybe you should start a thread on this problem. I bet some people will have some really good ideas.
    I have a HP JHP 45 and I really enjoy shooting it as well. I just wish they used 7075 hardened aluminum for the trigger pull assembly instead of that piece that is almost aluminum foil.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013