Mini 30 Mags

Discussion in 'Ruger Mini 14' started by Farmritch, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Farmritch

Farmritch New Member

Anyone have any luck at all with aftermarket mags?
    I have some thermold type that I know suck.
    And another poly type from CDNN that I bought a few years ago.
    I've never found an aftermarket one that works.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

That is pretty much my experience with any aftermarket magazine...

So, now I buy a few factory mags at point of purchase.

3. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

I thought I had a winner with the Korean-made aftermarket mags sold on CDNN's website. They are metal 30-rounders that rock right into place for a good lock-up, but the springs are too weak to put all 30 rounds through. A guy can put stronger springs in (i.e. Wolff), but then the mags will not hold 30 rounds (27 maybe?), and the cost approaches that of a factory mag. Bottom line...go with factory mags, if they can be found...

4. OnTheSide

OnTheSide New Member

First thing I realized when I got my mini was that after market mags didn't work. I took them back to the LGS, and he admitted that they were a problem.

5. passtime

passtime New Member

An old post but to keep this forum moving along I will add my two cents. I haven't even tried the aftermarket stuff. I have read so much negative posts on them I just shied away. It cost a little more for the factory mags but they usually work and if they don't (which does happen occasionally) I know I can send them back to Ruger and the will take care of them. I will say though that all the factory mags I have, which is several, are not lined up very well at the feed point of the metal frame so I have had to do a little modifying to them for smoother operation. I noticed a lot of scratches and had a few nose dives with SP's and that is what lead me to the issue. If anyone is interested I can post a before and after image in a new thread that may help some others who may be experiencing the same issues.

6. davedunit

davedunit New Member

Davedunit

I would really appreciate some before / after pics of your "tuned up" mags. Would be great, thanks.

7. passtime

passtime New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

My apologies to you OP if you consider this post a hijack. If so will be glad to delete it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  8. passtime

passtime New Member

Your welcome.