Mini-14 for Hunting??

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by RiverRat68, Jan 4, 2013.

1. RiverRat68

RiverRat68 New Member

How many of you use a Mini-14 for hunting? How about some pics and some "braggin" stories. No matter what the game is, each story has its highlites.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. shadetree

shadetree New Member

coyotes

my ranch rifle is awesome for coyotes and packs of wild dogs.never bothered to take photos.

3. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

I was thinking of buying one for coyote Hunting.? But Gov.Como here & Obama have listed the Mini 14 on their list of Assault Rifles etc.? :mad: :eek:

4. Ammo

Ammo New Member

Supposedly the mini14 tactical is an assault rifle but the wood stock mini with the 5rnd mag isnt.

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Regardless of the platform, model or chambering, it's shot placement that matters most. I know a couple folks that use these for small and med game hunting although for whatever reason, most seem to believe they need the latest ultra super maxi-magnum for anything above a rabbit. :)

6. Don

Don New Member

I have used it to with a 60gr Nosler Partitions to fill a doe tag in Florida (it is legal here). It was a quick kill on about 100 lb doe at 40 yards. Pretty normal here in NE FLA.
    It is not what I would normally use in another state or high in a tree with 200yd+ visibility. I know some will hurl insults about using this caliber at all on deer but notice that I was using it for a very specific application and if a Monster Buck (yeah, right in Fla) had come into the plot My scoped 454 Casull would have been called into action.
    That 60 gr Nosler partition is the only thing I would use if hunting anything bigger than a coyote.