Featured LC9s First takes

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by LeighSutton, Aug 27, 2017.

1. LeighSutton

LeighSutton New Member

Just purchased a new LC9s and got some range time with it this morning. These are my impressions.

Takedown. It is what it is. You get used to the push pin thing. I'm just afraid of losing it. (note to self: get a spare).

I picked up a couple boxes of Federal RTP 115gr and a box of Browning BPT 147gr just to try it out. The Federal feed, fired, ejected flawlessly. I gave up on the Browning BPT. After 25 rounds I had 5 FTE. That's more than I've had in all my firearms combined the past 10 years.

The grips seem pretty good and did their job. My only problem was my right thumb seemed to naturally fall right where the safety was. I ended up perching my thumb on top of the safety and got used to it. With the extended plate it seemed to point naturally and was fairly comfortable.

The white dot sights are very visible in daylight. However it was very overcast today and a little difficult to pick up. Putting some HiViz on my shopping list.

The trigger is about as good as it gets out of the box. Smooth take up and crisp break. I would prefer a little shorter reset but I'm more used to a 3.5# trigger on an AR. Overall it's damn good.

The recoil is what I would expect from a compact 9mm. 100 rounds in a little over an hour didn't bother me. It always seemed to fall back on target because of the natural grip angle.

The first few groups hit low. Not sure if it was me or the sight. I adjusted and it was fine. 10 yard groups were in the 3ish inch range. For the first time out with cheap ammo in the dark I'll gladly take that.

In hindsight I would consider the Pro version with no safety. My reasoning was it's use could be optional but thumb placement turned out to be the issue. Hi Viz sights are recommended. They don't cost more when you buy the gun, but they will cost me more to add them. Get a speed loader. Single stack mags are a PITA to load.

Would I still buy? No doubt. No buyer's remorse here :)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Welcome to RT. Chances are better than fair you will like it here.

That 'safety as thumb-rest' solution isn't just yours. On another board I saw it mentioned in connection with the M&P Shield. I use the thumb-down (revolver) hold on all my handguns, so don't have the problem.

3. Sportymonk

Sportymonk New Member

Looking at getting my grown son an LC9s Pro for Christmas (and birthday). Thanks for the report.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid!

Blackhawk makes an in the pocket holster that fits it. I have the LC9 and it works ok with larger pockets like in my Wrangler jeans. I use the 124 grain bullets bet found out Ruger tests with the 115 grain.

5. buster40c

buster40c Active Member

Good review. I also have the LC9s and I actually like that it has the added external safety. I also think the trigger is very good and smooth.

6. nickndfl

nickndfl Member

If you want a thin, inexpensive pistol it should be near the top of your list. I have one that has dispatched a hog, but is now relegated to garage duty.

My LCP is preferred because of its size. Now if I were walking through gang country I would take nothing less than a Glock 19 and Ruger SP101 on the waist in addition to LCP on the ankle.

7. spikedriver

spikedriver Member

LC9s is the best subcompact 9 for the money, and is the equal of the more expensive ones. I'm fully convinced of that.

8. allenr

allenr Member

The Lc9s is one of the best guns I own. I totally agree with the OP. I have never had any kind of failure. I shot Hornady Self Defense and now shoot Underwood Extreme Defender.

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Member

Yes, it always shoots, but I would not consider it an equal of a Springfield or Glock not to mention Sig or FN.

It's built to a price point, but it is very thin and practical nevertheless.

10. spikedriver

spikedriver Member

Actually, the only subcompact that might beat it, IMO, is the Shield - due to its better ergonomics. The LC carries better though. I go no experience with the SIG or FN, but I consider the Glock to be less than optimal due to poor balance and grip shape, and is no more reliable than any other big name gun. The Springer is basically a cheaper Glock to me. They both work, but I'd put the Ruger above them any day.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid!

My wife bought the shield because it fit he hand better, but she admits the LC9 is lighter and easier to conciel.

nickndfl likes this.
  12. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I really like my Lc9s pro. I carry it appendix or in the pocket, it disappears either way. The trigger is truly phenomenal, something the shield can only dream of. My only gripe is the disassembly process-IMO ruger could have done better in that department.

13. MuleOne

MuleOne New Member

I've had my LC9s for about a year now. I've put about 1000 rounds through it now and it's pretty accurate. Also I really don't find the take down pin to be a problem.

14. Sportymonk

Sportymonk New Member

My son hates my 9mm Shield but loves the LC9s. Christmas and birthday gift.

15. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Active Member

My son has my first LC9. He and his buddy keep it at their business for SD. Second one I bought was an LC9s. My daughter fired it recently and wants to take it with her for SD work.

I have a Shield also, but will get another LC9s if the daughter takes the one I have now. She did not like hte Shield.