Just Wondering how it is going around the US as a whole ... 22LR ammo availability

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by rjtmac, Sep 28, 2014.

1. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

Just wondering what the .22LR supply flow is going in the US ...

Here in my part of Texas ( Panhandle area around Lubbock and Amarillo ) we have been seeing it more and more often. Sill under limitations of 1 or 2 boxes. LGS have it in stock quite a bit more often but they are trying to rape the buyer. A lot of $59.00 to $79.00 for 325 rounds and $79.00 to $109.00 for 500 round bricks.

Cabelas has been having supplies running from 9¢ to 13¢ a round in varying box amounts.

I have 15,000 rounds on back order from Midway. Has been on order since November last year ... it was purchased at just under 5¢ a round. They have notified me 4 or 5 times over the last few months that they are still in the system and on order. I have my doubts I will ever see them.

Chime in and let everyone know how it is around your neck of the woods.

2. TxLobo

TxLobo New Member

I'm stocked on .22 LR, I was running low on .22 magnum.. couldn't find it anywhere locally. Got lucky with an online site and bought 4 boxes at 14.00 and some change each of 50 rounds, but it was solid point. I finally broke down and bought a .17 Rossi, seemed like every LGS had .17.. Found some .22 mag last week at a local store, they wanted 25.00 a box. CCI Mini Mag were going for 15.00 a hundred.
    I miss the good old days..

3. havasu

havasu In the army now..

In So Cal, I haven't seen a box of .22 cal bullets in years. Yeah, some stores claim to have them occasionally, but the buyers must have to camp outside the night the stock is placed on the shelves.

4. cgor

cgor New Member

Here in SW Ohio I have lucky enough to find bulk boxes in both 325 and 500 . The price is usually around 29.99 for the 500 count and I also have found some of the bucket of bullets as well.I have my stash over 15000 at this point and whenever I see a deal I buy a box or two.

Chris

5. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

The LGS have some 100rd CCI for 12.99 and 230 boxes for 19.99. He a fair guy for price, a local F&F had the Agular ? for 6.99/ and they were gone fast.

6. spacepiggy

spacepiggy New Member

In Oklahoma City the special bus arrives at wally world early and the buddy system is clearing the shelves. However the big range in town has CCI and Federal on hand. 325 bulk goes for $22 including tax, 50 round boxes are less than $5, limit one box per day.

FWIW most other caliber of pistol are in stock at WM, BassPro, & Academy

7. cjsudhop

cjsudhop New Member

CCI is still running about .11/round here in PA, with a one per day purchase limit. But I found Federal AutoMatch at my LGS for $22.50/325 rounds with a 3 per day limit. I bought 6 of those in two days. My 22/45, 10/22, and Sig 522 all love the AutoMatch.

8. spikedriver

spikedriver Member

Hit or miss in central Iowa... Have been picking up Hornady 22 mag fairly often all summer at Theisen' s farm stores. They also have Eley match 22s on a regular basis but it's pricey. 22 hollowpoints are pretty much nonexistent.

9. smart09

smart09 Mike Parker

Here in East Texas it's hit & miss. I lucked out & got a brick at Academy for about $30.00. I was just looking at pistols & the sales guy told him he only had one box left. I piped up real fast that I would take it. Really lucked out. I have been watching gunbot.net & the price per round seems to be dropping a little.

Michael Parker

10. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

In TN got a 525 brick from Academy for $20. Guy came out the back and gave everyone at the counter a
    brick. I got lucky.

11. spikedriver

spikedriver Member

Found a 525 of Federal 36 grain hollowpoints at the local farm store today. One of my hunting buddies was there when they put 8 of them on the shelf. He got one and called me right away, I jumped in the car and drove 15 minutes to the store, and they were down to 2 left by the time I got there. Ridiculous, but it feels good to finally get lucky, and I have plenty to last until next spring now, with what I've been able to find here and there over the last 6 months.

12. mark

mark Member

Week ago Fri. morning, wife and I got 6 Fed bulks of 325 Match Target white box at WalMart. Two nights ago I bought 2000 rounds of Winchester M-22s. I can't shoot them in revolvers, because they lead the barrels bad, in a hurry. That includes Rugers, and Smiths. Seems to have to do with the jump from the chamber to the rifling. They work in semi-autos and rifles, in all the guns I tried. I check the WalMart four nights a week. Mostly dry runs. I have shot a lot this year, but I am shooting more than I buy. Not good. Am somewhere over 30,000 rounds this year, at this point. When I go out shooting I see targets everywhere. Takes a lot of ammo, and gas. Today found a dead raccoon in the middle of the road. Went through a bit of ammo shooting the flies off of it. The more I shot, the bigger the stink, and the more flies.
    I live in the mid west. That's all I will say, as I don't need the competition where I buy my ammo.
    I have seen a lot of 22s some places with prices from $69 to over a $100 for bulk packs and bricks. Screw them for ever....

13. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

Haven't seen rimfire ammo in years here in wa state.

14. CLF

CLF Hunter, CAS/SASS

In the Raleigh area bulk is not easy to find. I have not seen any. 50 count boxes are around and one gun shop I go to has them on the shelf for $4 a box with a 5 box limit. Not bad and he has 4 to 5 different brands at a time. There is another shop (larger) who has pallets in the warehouse of 500 bricks. He uses them a a freebie when you buy a .22. I don't shop there unless I need something no one else has.

Lead Foot

15. togterry

togterry New Member

In New York State I walk out with 22lr every time I go to the LGS. Sometimes the limit is two boxes other times one but I have never left empty handed.

16. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

South Metro Houston area:

Carter's Country locations around Houston generally have several choices in stock. These guys have been my go to and have kept prices down and fought off obvious buy and sell parasites.

Academies in area are hit and miss, but normally have something.

Bass Pro, better be there when it hits shelf

Gander Mountain has it most times, generally in large quantities for a day or two in a row.

Wally World to me has been a dry hole at all stores. Seems like they still have buzzards hitting it as soon as it gets there.

Most pawns and many smaller shops have high $$$$, low supply

17. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

Was at Wal-Mart the other day had more CCI 40 gr 22lr than I have seen in a long time. But I had already picked up a box of 300 Shootem CCI at Bass Pro for 25 bucks earlier.

18. mark

mark Member

Picked up a 333 Winchester pack at Cabela's a couple of days ago. 6 cents a shell.
    Went to WalMart tonight and wife and I bought 3000 M-22 Winchester shells and three bulk packs of 325 Remingtons. Came to 5 cents a shell before tax. Been losing ground lately, so this will help.
    The Winchester M-22s work well in semi-autos, revolvers, not so good.
    Ruger Marks, Colt Woodsman's, and Browning 1911-22 will get a good run.. I shoot like an addict. Life is good!

19. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

Had a great day in Texas today. Went to Lubbock on business related trip. After getting the business stops out of the way I began to touch base at the usual suspects for 22LR ammo.

Went to Academy first. Got there around 10:45. Walked in and went to the ammo counter. There sat 2 Remington 1400 count Bucket of Bullets. I asked how much ?? $66.50. Sold I said - how many can I get. "One" was the answer ... I laughingly said it is a shame to leave that one all by itself. I left with both of them.

Departed Academy and went to Cabelas. Got a 333 count of Winchester in a wooden dress up box with the Cabelas name on it. Nice looking window dressing but it ran the cost up to $21.00. Could get only one.

Next stop Gander mountain. Two fifty count boxes of Remington. 2 was the limit. $2.89 ea.

Next stop Wal Mart. Haven't seen any 22lr at Wally World in a few months. It is always you should have been here early this morning. Stopped in and they had 20 ... 550 count bricks ... 3 was the limit at 23.95 each.

Got a phone call from the better half that I needed to go to Academy to purchase a birthday present for the Grandson. So a return trip. Went in and got the present and made my way by the ammo counter again. No bucket of bullets but they had put out some CCI quiet and some Aguilla Super. Don't do the quiet so I got 5 boxes (limit) of the Aguilla.

Had a couple of more places I could have checked but I had over spent the ammo budget already. Self rationalization and justification, grand kids are coming in this weekend. A bunch of it will go bang.

All in all a really exceptional shopping day. Now back to the routine of being regularly disappointed when asking "any 22lr in stock" and hearing "no, not today".

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  20. spikedriver

spikedriver Member

Jeez, leave some for the rest of us...:D