Charger being discontinued

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Travis, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Travis

Travis New Member

I read this on another forum. Just an FYI.

"My good friend who I usually go to the Show with (I couldn't go this year - new baby) went to look at Chargers at the Ruger booth. He couldn't find one and when he asked the sales guy where they were he replied, "We've made all the Chargers we're going to make." 

When I had originally contacted them a couple months ago they told me they were just suspending production, it is now sounding more permanent. Although, never say never with Ruger, it looks like Chargers are gonna be hard to come by for the foreseeable future.

If you're on the fence, you'd best get off quickly.... makes me want to buy one I don't need just in case!"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2. Diesel

Diesel New Member

Yeah I knew that was coming. Been eyeballing one on my local forum. might have to bite the bullet and pick it up.

3. jmohme

jmohme Member

That is a shame. Seemed like a nice platform.

4. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I have heard they will be produced from time to ti
    e but not enough to be included in the catalogue as a regular item.

5. 45b

45b New Member

If that is the case and the Charger is being discontinued my local gun shop (Bullet Express in AUburn, Illinois) has 3 of them in stock including
    2 of the USA Shooting Team versions in Red-White_and Blue.

Might be worth picking up and holding on to them.

6. Palouse

Palouse New Member

There have been so many Ruger firearms that I wanted but didn't buy for whatever reason, only to watch prices rise when they quit making them. If you want one, buy it now or pay more later.

7. Railbuggy

Railbuggy Oath Keeper

Not sure if I want a MarkIII with a threaded barrel or the Charger.Maybe Ruger fears there Charger becomeing a SBR.:)

8. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

Even if Ruger decides to discontinue them, the build-your-own-Charger world is pretty vast. The receiver is the same as any other 10/22, so it's just a matter of converting a rifle to a pistol with a 10-inch barrel (many aftermarket options), and a pistol stock (a multitude available). I suppose we will just see many more custom Chargers out there, even if Ruger drops production...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  9. jmohme

jmohme Member

Good point.
    I can see a custom build as a real possiblilty in my little shop.

10. 911JB

911JB New Member

If I am not mistaken and I dont believe I am, the only problem with turning a 10/22 into a charger, using the 10/22's receiver is that you now created a SBR and it will require the $200.00 tax stamp and jumping through the ATF's hoops.

JB

11. Flipflop

Flipflop New Member

That is on the list of things to buy but I think I missed the boat

12. Railbuggy

Railbuggy Oath Keeper

The AK builders build AK pistols with new recivers.If a new reciver was never built as a rifle your OK to make a pistol with it.I have a Hungarian AMD65 parts kit under the bead with the 12.5" barrel that I plan to finish as a pistol.

13. jmohme

jmohme Member

I beleive you are correct.
    Those of us in the Contender/Encore world have to deal with this issue also.

14. 911JB

911JB New Member

Yes, a NEW receiver is a different story. Building from a used 10/22 would be a no no.

JB

15. 911JB

911JB New Member

Just to clarify, the bold portion of this post is what I was refering to.

JB

16. weblance

weblance New Member

I bought my Charger a couple years ago. I thought they were a cool idea, and many years ago, I thought about a 10/22 "pistol". When I found out that I would need to register it as a SBR and pay the $200 stamp fee, I gave up on the idea. When the Charger came out, I realized my idea could now be done with the Charger. After I bought it, I couldnt decide what scope to put on it, pistol or rifle, and kinda just lost interest in it. It sits unfired in my safe. I wont get rid of it, especially now, but its just sorta a lost sheep for me. I now am a member of a real nice benchrest club, so I have been thinking of some things to do with my Charger.

17. Mash1956

Mash1956 New Member

I loike the look of the charger, I hesitated about getting one, I have a cpouple4 of 10/22's maybe I should look around to see if I can find one

18. cj5mrt

cj5mrt New Member

I just sold off my last Charger. They are a ton of fun, but I just shoot my 10/22 more than I shot the Charger.

19. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

I just won an auction for one on Gun Broker,
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325520896
    very surprised no one even bid against me, I know there are cheaper ones, but considering the scope on it, I feel like I got something special :D
    My inclination is to go the other route, use my spare 16" barrel from my VLEH and put it in a butler creek folder :cool: Then when I want to change back to pistol I'm kosher...

20. justin626

justin626 New Member

Just won a Charger as well from Gunbroker. Surprisingly still NIB!! If anyone is looking to pick one up, it seems BW Outfitters still have some NIB at a very reasonable buy-it-now price.