Caliber/Rifle Question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by cicpup, Feb 9, 2013.

1. cicpup

cicpup New Member

So I'll be the first to admit I know crap about rifles (although I have three shottys & two .22's). That being said, I would like to pick up something that I can do some long distance target practicing with and has enough punch to easily send Bambi's mother to the afterlife. Reliability and accuracy is a must. I would prefer to not have to shell out $2 per round and would like to keep the cost of the rifle reasonable (IMO $1K for a rifle is a waste of money although I wouldn't give a second thought to dropping that on a good 1911. Some priorities eh?). Last issue, recoil. I severely dislocated my shoulder a couple years ago and although I highly doubt it but there is the slim possibility that a very strong recoil could re-dislocate it. Or could that be resolved with a butt pad?

Opinions please.

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, this is being posted to multiple forums so I can get a general consensus.

2. dutchs

dutchs New Member Lifetime Supporter

.308 It will drop anything in the lower 48 and most anywhere else and it has relatively mild recoil for such a potent round. .308 is basically the do it all round for rifle. You can get a nice Savage for around 500 bucks and the rounds are about 50 to 60 cents if you buy 100. Accuracy is incredible.

3. glock26USMC

glock26USMC New Member

Agree with the .308 !

4. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

308 is a great caliber. But with a shoulder injury it might be a touch much in "my" opinion. with all the options out there I would look at a 243 or 7mm/08 both are relatively flat shooters and can easily reach out and touch bambi,s mom (but I would rather have his dad) at 250 yards. My daughter shoots a 243 and has taken a deer each of the last three years with it and they have not gone over 75 yards. as for the gun itself and this being a ruger forum the American is a great option for around $400 and around here they are still available in the stores. use the extra cash for a good quality scope. most ruger guns come with rings so you save that expense. ammo for a factory load at 100 gr. would run approx. $1 a round for good hunting load. if you plan on shooting a lot definitely look at reloading

5. Douglas

Douglas New Member

243, 270, 308 and 30-06 all will do what you want.

I light rifle will kick you harder than a heavy one, no matter what caliber. I have a 30-30 carbine that has more felt recoil than my 30-06 M1.

6. dutchs

Hey Douglas..Welcome to the Ruger forum...small world it is, I am in Ocala and i have an M1 Garand.... Enjoy the forum.

7. cicpup

cicpup New Member

Well I would like to thank everyone for their input & advice. Took a little ride over to my LGS to poke around and do some comparing (caliber, weight, feel, price, etc.). Came down to 3 choices. A Ruger #1 lever action chambered in .300, a 7mm magnum Ruger 77 bolt action, and a 7mm magnum Savage 110 bolt action. The 77 and the 110 both were equipped with very nice long range scopes. The #1 had a cheesy 4x Bushnell. All were used yet in very nice condition and all had wooden stocks. Although both Rugers were aesthetically better looking, I decided to drop a down payment on the Savage. Deciding factors were the Savage weighed more than the Rugers, had the better of the 3 scopes, and was $100 cheaper. Hope I didn't make a mistake.

Total price will be $499 OTD and it fills a large void in my collection. I have many pistols and three shottys, but the only thing I have that even qualifies as a rifle is a .22 Henry lever action.

I know I could have gotten off cheaper at Wally World and although I'll buy ammo all day long there, when it comes to firearms, I support my LGS.

8. dutchs

I have the Savage Hog Hunter in .308, the Savage M93 in .22mag, the Savage Axis in .223, all bolt action rifles all excellent rifles. If I were a betting man I would bet you will be happy!! Glad you are getting into rifles..I love shooting my rifles.

9. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

Agree, too much for a bad shoulder. 243's not bad.

After about 20 rds I need a little break with the 308.
    Bushmaster 308/ magpul furniture and Tasco red/green sight.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  10. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Thanks for the greeting.

Ever get out to the 88 range? We have a small group that goes there a couple times a month.

11. dutchs

I do not know what the 88 range is? I shoot at R&D tactical and go out to the Forest for my rifle shooting or up to Lake City.

12. Douglas

Douglas New Member

The 88 range is the forest range. Called that because it's on forest road 88.

Is R&D the new indoor range in the industrial park? Never been there.

13. dutchs

14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Well, alot of your original criteria went out the window...low recoil, cheap to shoot, etc...but nice choice !

I own a Remington 700BDL in 7mm Rem Mag and it can be counted on to drop anything on this continent and is

very flat shooting out to 300+ yards...but ammo is getting expensive. Not a plinker, but good for hunting...

15. cicpup

cicpup New Member

Haha. Yea I know. Well I'm looking at it this way. Take care of distance and knock down power now. I'm certain this won't be my only rifle so I can work on something more fine tuned to my other needs later. Ammo price was a bit bothersome, but since it's not something that's going to the range on a weekly basis I was able to overlook it for now. As for the recoil, I'm hoping the weight will offset it enough to be tolerable. If after a few rounds I feel it's an actual danger to my shoulder, well... lets just say my son will have a very happy birthday this year.

BTW. Keep those suggestions coming. Like I said, this won't be my only rifle.

edit: fixed quote tag

16. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

17. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Cicpup, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Does the Savage have the Accu-trigger? Never worked on one but all reports are they are nice rifles.

18. cicpup

cicpup New Member

Using the serial # on my layaway receipt and this new fangled thingy called the interwebby I found this:

""G" prefix started in 2003 with the introduction of the AccuTrigger"

So... Yes. Yes it does.

19. phideaux

phideaux Active Member

You should like the accuracy of the Savage.

I have a Savage 110 chambered in 30-06. Wickedly accurate and solidly built, and good looking rifle.

I dont know how sensitive you are to recoil, but Im not, Im one of those crazies that enjoy a good kick.

Gotta tell ya though , the Savage 110 is a MULE, so bad ,I ordered a Pachmyr Decelerator pad for mine, and its better , but I will not let anyone shoot it, afraid they'll get nose bleed or busted eye socket.:eek::)

Never the less I love my Savage, deer never knew what hits em.

I hope yours is better.
    Just be sure to bury it tight in the shoulder first time.

Jim

20. cicpup

cicpup New Member

So stopped by Wally World last night and as I suspected Mother Hubbard's Cupboard was 90% bare except for a few rarely purchased calibers. 7mm mag being one of them. So I picked up 3 20 count boxes. Wonder how many years they will last me? Upon examining the rounds, I must admit I am just a bit nervous. Excited, but nervous none the less.

Attached Files: