Barrel life?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Neetan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Neetan

Neetan New Member

Hi I have just bought a Ruger 22/45 target bull P512MKIII mod. 10107 .
    The original owner had shot 4 boxes of 525 fed. and the next owner said he had shot 4-6 boxes of 333 win.
    When I mentioned to a friend about the shot count he said that one half of the life of the barrel is done.
    If a gun is going to last 2-3 generations then I believe that the life is about 58,000 before you need the trigger sear needs work and the barrel is 100,000 before you need to think about life.
    Am I wrong?
    Love to know your thought.

2. weblance

weblance New Member

Your friend is very wrong. There are many comments from owners who have literally hundreds of thousands of rounds thru Mark series pistols. Seriously... hundreds of thousands of rounds.

3. bovinefecalmatter

bovinefecalmatter New Member

brother you ain't even broken in yet, your probably go broke before you can feed stainless 22 enough fodder to damage it

4. jmohme

jmohme Member

Your friend must be thinking about one of those all plastic guns that Hollywood talks about in the movies.;)

5. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

Ask your friend how he thinks a soft lead bullet, you can literally scratch with your fingernail, is going to wear out a steel gunbarrel? :confused:

IF you ever manage to wear out a 22 rimfire barrel, any barrel, brag about it. You have done something.

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 greyhawk50

I totally agree with the previous post. Not to worry. A barrels worst enemies, aside from rust, are excessive heat and dirt.
    Your friend may have heard conversations about high power rifle barrels and thought it applied to all guns.
    Even with high powered rifles, it depends on the caliber, how hot the loads are and many other factors. Even then, the bulk of the wear is at the throat of the rifling where the bullet contacts the lands/grooves and start the spin and where the powder burn is the most intense depending on the type of powder.
    https://forums.cabelas.com/archive/index.php/t-691.html

7. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

As the other posters have inferred, your friend is clueless about barrel wear on a .22LR.

Glocks have gone over 100K rounds with much higher pressures, temperatures and FMJ wear. Don

8. Twodollarpistol

Twodollarpistol New Member

I have to agree with all the other posters. Your friend is so wrong. You, your son, and your sons son wont live long enough to wear out that barrell.
    TDP

9. Dig

Dig New Member

good find on the Ruger, and I concur with everyone else, your gun is good to go and it does sound like it is not broke in yet. :D

10. Popeye

Popeye New Member

I'm going to have to agree with the others. Your friend might be looking out for your best interest and means well, but when it comes to the Ruger 22/45 pistols he doesn't have a clue. He's so clueless with that statement it borders on rediculous. Hell 5000 rounds through it that barrel it's just starting to get seasoned.:D
    You my friend with even so,so maintenance to the pistol will never wear out that barrel. I'm quite sure that 200 years after doomsday some life form will be walking around and see one, pick it up pull the trigger and it will still fire.

11. barnetmil

barnetmil New Member

More .22 barrels are damaged from improper use of cleaning rods than most anything else except maybe rust.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  12. bovinefecalmatter

bovinefecalmatter New Member

let me help you out

Every now and then we all make mistakes. Let me help you out I need a parts gun so I'll buy the pistol off you and just to be fair we can prorate it like they do tires :D:D:D your friend Big Howie

13. krss144

krss144 New Member

^ Thats why I use my 60 Gallon Air Compressor at 120 psi to shoot air down the barrow...pistol or rifle. I like that weed whacker line idea.