Android or IPhone

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by glock26USMC, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Android

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. iPhone

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. glock26USMC

glock26USMC New Member

Which one you guys prefer?

I'll start..... Android :D

2. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Samsung Galaxy III myself, so I guess Droid.

3. glock26USMC

glock26USMC New Member

Also got a Samsung Galaxy 3, love this phone :D

4. jrc

jrc New Member

Android - don't like Apple.

5. turkeyoak

turkeyoak New Member

I'm not cool enough for Apple but I have an iPad and iPhone.
    The iPhone is the best alarm clock I ever had. It is a superior internet device. Great with music and maps. But, it is the WORST PHONE I ever had! Lame sound quality, touching it kills the call, and if you are left handed ear contact puts it on mute.
    I have to use a headset or earphones to use the phone.
    Anyone in a car that is talking to a phone 3-4" away is probably on an iPhone.

6. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

Call me old fashioned, none!

7. c01

c01 New Member

S3 all the way.

D

8. Dreamthief

Dreamthief GP100 Gunslinger

Neither. I have the new Nokia 920. Very happy with it.

9. JimA

JimA New Member

I have an Amish phone...No text or internet.:)

10. RugerRon60

RugerRon60 New Member

I got an HTC windows 8 phone and I am really happy with it.

11. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 greyhawk50

I too am old fashion. Aside from my Lap Top, I have a Tracfone and a Kindle.

12. Dreamthief

My Nokia 920 windows 8 phone next to my older iPhone 3GS. I miss a couple small things about my iPhone. I have an iPad 3 and love it. I primarily use it over my laptop. I wrote a week use review of the 920. Not that anyone here would probably be interested in that lol.

[​IMG]

13. Dig

Dig New Member

Droidddddd

14. RugerRon60

RugerRon60 New Member

I have the HTC Windows 8 phone after being a Driod user for years. I really like the Windows 8 phone and really don't miss my Droid, I work in a IT department at a Hospital. I use it for Remote Desktop, voice recording and Email mostly.

15. Dreamthief

I haven't used the remote desktop stuff. I don't even think I know how to do that yet.

16. Dreamthief

Here's the review I wrote

Lumia 920 review

December 11, 2012

I received my update to my ATT line today. i traded my long lived iPhone 3GS in for the stat packed Nokia Lumia 920. ATT is offing a free wireless charger ($50 value) with the upgrade. i was supposed to get the black one, but they sent me one that matches my phone...which coincidentally also matches my truck. I wanted the Cyan Lumia 920 really badly, but they've been out of stock and my 3GS is on its last leg. I had to make a decision soon. Opening the phone's box is the standard AT&T fare. An unimpressive box with the phone and the usb charger. Not much else. I received wireless charger the same day due to a UPS snafu. The wireless charger was well packed and in a detailed Nokia package.

(later that day) Well so far so good. Ive made my first post on Facebook on my new Lumia 920. I've been able to port Most of my contacts via "transfer my data" Bluetooth application as well as put most of my iTunes library into the Zune software. I haven't tried to load the music into the Lumia 920 yet. The screen is very sensitive and works well. The auto text us very intuitive and nit as cumbersome as the iPhone's. The processor appears fast and responsive, and the level of integration of social media is outstanding. Simply going to the person in your contact list (which you can also individually add certain people to your start screen and see their updates via live tiles) you see their twitter, Facebook, and any other posts or photos they've put out there for the world to see. This is great for very close friends or spouses. Looking forward to delving into the phone more tomorrow.

December 12, 2012

First full day with the Nokia Lumia 920. Well, I just purchased a 920 yesterday afternoon, so this is technically my first full day. I read up on the phone a lot before getting it. The Nokia support site had loads of info that I could glean from. The support forums all read that one would be able to sync music to the device via Zune or itunes software on my pc. Today i have found through chatting with Nokia online that Zune compatibility was discontinued with the 920, and I have not been able to get any music on my phone that is not nokia music or xbox music. I have over 200 gb of music that I have purchsed on CD/digital download over the past 4+ years. I told them (Nokia) that I am an iphone convert. That if I could not add my music in an organized way i would probably be returning the windows phone for an iPhone. The experience with the tech was mostly negative, but digging deeper into other forums produced information that was mostly positive.

So basically i was faced with the choice that since I had a big collection of music that exists, maybe i should pick a different phone(namely go back to iphone). It seems that there is no music management software available and no playlist management (unless you have an Xbox). The Nokia music is just ok. It functions like pandora but uses data up when not on wifi. Xbox music is extensive but very expensive. I think, however, I might have found a work around with the music thing and just might have to figure out a workaround to the install problem of the windows phone desktop app beta version I've been having.

The good thing is the phone is solid, the screen is great. A little time getting used to it and this bugger will prolly be my 2nd favorite gadget. :). Nokia music is basically a pandora type application, but I don't think it is as refined. I did not however notice any ads. Also another positive not, the find my phone app is flawless and functions a lot better than the iPhone counterpart. The GPS is scary accurate actually showing my phone IN MY APARTMENT on the satellite view of the map.

December 13, 2013

2nd full day with the lumia. This is starting to grow on me. I had a situation today in which I was a little rattled. I, like the absent minded man I am, accidentally locked my keys in the car when I went into people's church today. I didn't notice it until I got out. Sometimes when I get that flustered its hard for me to think clearly. The phone was intuitive and easy enough to use that even in my flustered state with hands shaking a bit I was able to use the phone with one hand while I tried to press the automatic lock through the window I left cracked on either side of the door. No signal drop at the most important moment, no dropped called either when I needed it to function most. I can't say the same thing about my iPhone 3GS which was going through a battery charge in about 2 hours right before I switched.

More things I noticed about the handset was intuitive calendars, VERY intuitive voice commands and dialing, and the set stayed in my hands...not falling out like I thought it would due to its size.

With the music issue worked out (I found the workaround with the windows phone app beta that I couldn't get installed most people running windows 7, I run win7 ultimate 64 bit, will have to manually download and install the .net 4 framework), only Facebook continues to aggravate and cause problems. but those problems are not native to the phone and are app related. 1. Landscape orientation is not a capability in some apps especially Facebook. This is bad considering its easier to type on a touch screen smartphone in landscape mode. 2. For some reason this app takes so long to refresh. I've been getting dual notifications...sometimes triple notifications for the same events/posts. 3. The only thing I would change about the phone so far is having the keyboard expand left and right when it's in landscape mode. It seems to be the same size regardless of the way the phone is oriented. Again this is probably something I'll get used to given use time. 4. The best rated twitter client is Gleek (think that's what it's called) and its a paid app. 5. The are lots of indie games and privately developed apps that are out there for free but the best ones you'll have to pay for. The good thing that WP8 offers is the try before you buy feature. If I had this on the iPhone back in the day I would have not purchased about half of the apps I did. This is an excellent way for we, the consumer, to really get a feel for an app prior to purchase and this is priceless. 5. This is the most irritating. On the iPhone you can double tap to bring up the copy, cut, select, or paste options. I cannot find this on this phone. Selecting text is very problematic at this point.

Hopefully the App Store will continue to grow in the amount of apps and the quality of the development.

The charging plate works flawlessly and it's free!

More later! I hope this might help someone who is on the fence on whether or not to defect to the windows phone platform.

17. Dreamthief

Well I've spent the weekend using my 920 and have some other points that show off the features of this little powerhouse. The battery life is impeccable. Using the net, sending texts, streaming music and video over wifi don't dent the battery like it did on my iPhone. I'm VERY happy with the way the battery has performed. Often times I would have to take my charger with me if I was going to be away from the house all day. Finding a place to charge the iPhone was often an issue. Nothing is worse than your battery dipping at 4:00 in the afternoon when you're on the road or at a store. I haven't had to charge the 920 during the day once. (I did follow the charging guidelines when I first got the iPhone as well as the new 920). This thing is like an energizer bunny battery wise.

Also I'm surprised with the wireless Qi charging pad that I got with this phone. Yes, it came with the traditional cord and wall charger, but not having to charge the phone during the day, I only used the USB cord that was provided to sync the phone with the computer. When charging I just set the thing down on the pad at night and grabbed it in the morning. No fussing with plugging in the charger, no cords falling off the nightstand etc.

Another awesome, yet under-used feature is the NFC (near field communication) capability of this phone. Tapping it to pair it with wireless speakers, other NFC phones, NFC tags for products, sharing photos and files is amazing.

Getting used to the OS is critical to unlocking the capability of this phone. It really does get you what your looking for fast. I find myself getting the information and then looking at the phone thinking, "that's it?...that was quick". I used to spend a lot of time on my iPhone. I also did figure out the music thing, and this phone comes with 32gb standard in contrast to the iPhone having 8gb standard. You will more than likely not run out of space.

The things that I think are shortcomings (but are probably operator error due to long time iPhone use) is the inability to select all text. Selecting text was fairly intuitive on the iPhone. I've had trouble selecting text and selecting all the text when typing in dialog boxes in web pages and when composing texts. Another thing that is a shortcoming that is probably application related is the way that apps update i.e. Facebook saying you have notifications when you don't, Facebook freezing up(not the phone, but the app). To be clear though the Facebook app on the iPhone has a lot of issues as well. Another thing I haven't gotten used to or even found out if I can do it yet is multitask in app. Double tapping the home button on the iPhone would bring up open apps and you could go to one app from another and then switch back without the apps restarting or erasing what you were writing (for the most part). With this phone, so far as I can see, when you switch out of an app and then switch back (Facebook to a received text for example) the app restarts erasing a post you were working on.

Overall I'm impressed and happy with this phone. I'm glad that I made the switch. Like any new electronic device you have to get used to the idiosyncrasies relative to the device, and once you do that you'll be very happy with it. I had to do this when I switch from loooooong time blackberry use to the iPhone. If you're due for an upgrade, and have an iPhone that you're kind of dealing with battery issues, OS straining your chip, limited memory or hard drive space I highly recommend the Nokia Lumia 920.

18. Donn

Donn Member

Droid, because it's what I have.

19. dhrandy

dhrandy New Member

Android. I have the LG Venice on Boost. You can't beat $45 a month for unlimited everything. I also have the 10" HP Touchpad running ICS and a 7" Kindle Fire.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2