$40 find

Discussion in 'Knife and Blade' started by mulescj8, Sep 10, 2017.

1. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Picked this up yesterday. Handmade Damascus knife. Was a little rough when I found it and managed to talk the guy way down since it was rusty and had a little pitting on it. Finish and fit isn't perfect where the handle and blade meet the tang area, but its decent. Four hours of work to clean the rust up and clean the edge up a bit and I still need to put a final hone on it but pretty happy with it. Think it cleaned up nicely. Has a good feel and balance is good. Fits my hand like a glove.

Attached Files:

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Looks like a good deal to me especially if it's damascus. Shoot, you could sell that and double your money. Good for you!

Tommy

3. phideaux

phideaux Active Member

Ain't gonna find one ofv\ them everyday...

Specially not at that price.

Good grab.

Jim

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Nice Score Mule...luv me some Damascus !!

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Sweet! Nice score

6. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

Thank ya'll! It had a pretty good coat of surface rust on it and I started with 600 grit sandpaper and worked up to 2000 grit. Hated to take the darker patena off it but not a lot of choice to get the rust off. The WD40 trick took some of it off but not all of it.

It needed a little more finish work on the bolster/tang area for a really clean finish. I'm going to leave it as is because I don't want to heat the handle up grinding on it. It's more cosmetic than anything.

I may try re-etching it later on to bring the lines out more.........still debating on that.

I think the handle is walnut best I can tell and has a nice feel and nice grain pattern in it.

7. ifithitu

ifithitu Active Member

Nice find,congrats!

8. marydavis

marydavis New Member

It is a nice finding! You are lucky

thegatman likes this.
  9. paulruger

paulruger Member

I bought a Damascus folder from a lgs that is now out of business for 30.00 with sheath. Carried it in my pocket for two days before it started to seperate! Made by Indians around Houston!

10. Uncle_Louie

Uncle_Louie 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL