You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of RugerTalk.com    
Ruger Talk - Ruger Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic >

Free offer just pay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
nickndfl

Liked 201 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Lots of services are trying for a subscription base. Everything from alarms as mentioned above to pest control. Don't give anybody authorization to pay a bill automatically either via credit card or bank account.

I had to do a skip trace on a deadbeat recently and paid the $5 service fee for a Walmart debit card that I can recharge whenever. It was a one off, but it's better than chasing companies around. Happened to me with a financial services company and learned my lesson.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:29 AM   #12
Tommycourt
Tommycourt
RT_SUPPORTER.png

Location: I live in a senior area in Mesa, Az- next to heavens gate-I HOPE!
Liked 1585 Times on 1012 Posts
Likes Given: 2910

I made my call for the third time to the alarm system company about my contract expiring and wanting a letter of cancellation showing I had fulfilled my contract just to make sure that it was over. I was told that they don't send out letters of cancellation and I had to do it online with a signature. I admit I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I stated how would I know if they had received it or not and would they honor it. They again offered to update my equipment and lower my rates for the first year since I was a valued customer. I told them I did not want their service any more and all I wanted was a cancellation notice. I then asked for a supervisor and she told me the same thing and went through the whole sales gimmick again. Again I told them no. She also stated there would be a cancellation fee since I did not give them a 30 day notice. I then told her the date I had called the first and second times and gave them the dates I called and to whom I had spoken to. That ended that conversation, however I had heard from a neighbor that had the same service that had gone through exactly what I did but did not write down the names or dates of his wanting to cancel. He advised me to call the bank and notify them not to pay any more bills from them after the end of this month which is the time my contract expires. Had I not done that, they will just keep on billing me for service even though I cancelled. So tomorrow I am calling my bank and instructing them that after this month not to pay anymore to the company. I hope this will resolve my situation.

Tommy

Old 11-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #13
VThillman
RT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1417 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 1907

That outfit sounds like it operates on the 'sharp business practice' principle, same as my phone company only worse. Are you going to sign up for another alarm service Tommy?

Old 11-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #14
buster40c
RT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3343 Times on 2301 Posts
Likes Given: 1411

I will be surprised if your bank stops making the payments. I am guessing they will tell you that you have to get the company to stop charging your bank account. I do believe, as was said before, that you need close that account with your bank in order to stop the charges.
phideaux Likes This 
Old 11-16-2017, 06:24 AM   #15
MagnumBlackhawk
Patriot
RT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1242 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

Hey Tommy,

Send them a certified letter demanding they stop service.
They can't LIE and claim they didn't know cause they have to sign for the letter.
I had to deal with AT&T's lies till they got the letter......

People Like This 
Old 11-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #16
buster40c
RT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3343 Times on 2301 Posts
Likes Given: 1411

I tried out using T-mobil wifi internet service and I asked what if your service does not work well in my area. I told him I dropped T-mobil cell phone because I often had dropped calls. He said T-Mobil has increased their coverage with more towers now. The guy checked my area and he said customers in my area reported good and fast internet 4G service. He said those are reports directly from customer reviews of their service. I asked what if it doesn't work for me am I stuck with paying for this service and the wifi unit. He said he didn't want to tell me something wrong and said he would check first. He went to a back room and came back telling me I had 14 days to try it out and get all my money back for the unit and I would not be charged any further charges since I was not under a contract for the service. So I paid the total of $105 that covered the wifi unit and the set up charges for 14 gb plan.

I tried the service and it took almost 8 minutes to bring up my email account. It took close to two minutes just to bring up duckduckgo search site home page. I saw the wifi was using 2G connection not 4G which is probably why it was so slow. So I called the T-Mobil store and they said bring it back then for a refund.

I get to the store and the woman tells me she couldn't cancel the account and that I needed to call to cancel it. Since I lived so far away she called for me while I was there in the store and cancelled it. Wasn't that nice of her? Oh but wait! She seems to be having a problem doing the credit back and she asked the manager for assistance. He tells me he can't refund the activation fee because that is not done by T-mobil. WHAT??? T-mobil doesn't do the activation? I said this is expletive rip off.
Then he says there will be a restocking fee for returning the wifi unit. Oh I am really pissed now and I said this is bull sh.. which I again said only saying bull crap. I told him I was told yesterday that I would be fully refunded all costs. The guy said he wasn't going to stand for swearing in his store. I said well I don't like being ripped off either. He said he was going to take care of the restocking fee so there was no need for my cussing and I said well you just told me You had to charge me the fee. He said he was going to take care of the fee. Talk about a turn around moment by moment! I said I apologize since I must have misunderstood his saying he had to charge me the fee. I didn't misunderstand what he said at first. So I got a refund of $74 and some change since I couldn't get the activation fee refunded. I figured this was as good as it was going to get. I left the store.

OOPS not done yet! Here it is a couple weeks later and I get a letter in the mail that my plan use for the past month of $70 will be due on the 15th of this month. I guess I should have paid for a de-activation fee? This reminds me of politics in that before the election we hear one thing to get our vote/money but as soon as they got our vote/money then we hear a totally different story.

So I called T- Mobil and explained the problem and that no way was I paying for any use charges since I returned the unit the next day. The woman said she was sorry and would stop the charges and close the account. I said good and you can refund my activation fee also to which she just laughed. I guess she thought that was funny. I guess now it is a wait and see what happens next. I asked for a reference number to which she said there isn't any reference number but she gave me her employee number and name. I will never deal with T-mobil again.
phideaux Likes This 
Old 11-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #17
phideaux
RT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4486 Times on 2983 Posts
Likes Given: 7483

buster ......

You sure that wasn't AT&T?

I have spent 2 hours on the phone every month since July, just listening to one lie after another about how they have NOW got my billing right....yeah right.

If I had any choice for internet other than DSL.... I'd be telling AT&T where they can go .

I HATE AT&T, but it's the best game in town for now.

Jim

Old 11-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #18
VThillman
RT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1417 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
buster ......

I have spent 2 hours on the phone every month since July, just listening to one lie after another about how they have NOW got my billing right....yeah right.

If I had any choice for internet other than DSL.... I'd be telling AT&T where they can go .

Jim
Jim & Buster, You are telling horror stories, and Halloween was last month.
My phone company/Internet provider - Vermont Telephone Company - is run using 'sharp business practice' by it's boss, Mr. Guité, but he isn't that arrogant. Maybe he figures he's too, um, 'accessible'. Some of the hillfolk take these things personal.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #19
MagnumBlackhawk
Patriot
RT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1242 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
buster ......

Jim
AT&T, ? ..... Sure sounds like them.

I fought with AT&T for eleven days straight over advertising that had been wrong for 3 years.
I had to sleep with my phone so that I could not miss the one return call they made. (8:05 AM)
It was obvious to all that I was done doing business with them... OBVIOUS I say!

One Year later....
We received a mailing that was OBVIOUSLY nothing but junk mail from AT&T.
I mean it had little advertisements all over the envelope that were just screaming JUNK MAIL JUNK MAIL.

Nope, it was a trick that we found they use regularly.

AT&T was informing me that they were automatically renewing my advertising contract.
I only opened that "junk mail" so I could get a laugh at what they were trying sell me...
Here's your certified letter AT&T. Now were're done!!!