You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of RugerTalk.com    
Ruger Talk - Ruger Forum > General Firearms Discussion > Ammo & Reloading >

New reloading press available

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2017, 03:30 AM   #11
Tommycourt
Tommycourt
RT_SUPPORTER.png

Location: I live in a senior area in Mesa, Az- next to heavens gate-I HOPE!
Liked 1585 Times on 1012 Posts
Likes Given: 2910

That press seems almost like my old Herter's single stage press although mine is a C style. Herter's used to make an O style press years ago. With my press all you do is change the dies and I used RCBS and Lyman's. Very old fashioned style but it works good. My press was built in the 1950's. Still use it on a daily basis. Primer collection is a 5 gal. bucket under the press.

Tommy
gwpercle Likes This 
Old 05-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #12
gwpercle

Liked 56 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycourt View Post
That press seems almost like my old Herter's single stage press although mine is a C style. Herter's used to make an O style press years ago. With my press all you do is change the dies and I used RCBS and Lyman's. Very old fashioned style but it works good. My press was built in the 1950's. Still use it on a daily basis. Primer collection is a 5 gal. bucket under the press.

Tommy
Under my big old Pacific Super Deluxe I have a cardboard box...low tech works too !

Old 05-19-2017, 03:59 AM   #13
noylj

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Single stage press:
What does it do that other presses don't?
If I was looking for a single-stage press, I want:
a) die bushing or inexpensive tool head
b) drop tube to waste basket or to collection bottle for spent primers.
This is because the, what was then free, Lee Reloading Press (little C-frame) loaded .30-06 ammo just as accurate as the Co-Ax, but required more arm strength, so I have no reason to believe the press contributes much to accuracy.
For me, for the last 40 years, my single stage press has been the Co-Ax. Dies slip in so there is no die bushings (and no die adjusting) or tool heads to buy and the shell plate has been totally universal for me.
I tell folks that ask that the Lee Challenger does everything you need and if you need more, get the Co-Ax.
Unless you are swaging bullets, the extra mass is of no use and even then I would be using a swaging press built for the job.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #14
greg_r

Liked 277 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I like the Co-Ax and beg to differ that the Co-Ax will load more coincentric bullets than other presses assuming the dies and cases are good. A concentricity gauge will prove this. I believe this is due to the shell plate being able to move side to side and the dies being able to move front to back. How much different? Enough that the 1000 yard or rail gun shooter will realize it, but the average shooter probably will not.

My experience with rail guns prove this out for me anyways, as ammunition loaded on the CO-AX always out performed ammunition loaded on my RCBS Jr2 press out of my 222 Remington chambered rail gun this was using the same dies.

Anyways, my reasoning for a new press is for case forming. I recently bent the arm on my Jr2 resizing some brass I bought that was apparently fired out of a machine gun. It was a job! Kudos to RCBS . I am sending the handle and block and they are going to replace think for me. On a press that is older than me!

The RCBS JR presses also do not have compound leverage and I wanted to remedy that. I ended up purchasing the Lee Classic Cast, non breechblock version.

The Lee Reloader press, Challenger press, and RCBS Partner press are all presses that I am familiar with. They all load excellent ammunition. I have the Lee Reloader press and use it mostly for case prep now but still load on it from time to time. It and a Lee "economy" turret press are what I have at the second house. That would make a perfectly acceptable setup for over 90% of reloaders and I recommend them regularly for folks asking about getting into the hobby. Case forming and bullet swaging require a bit stronger setup.