You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of RugerTalk.com    
Ruger Talk - Ruger Forum > General Firearms Discussion > Ammo & Reloading >

Leading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
silveradoman59

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Leading

OK, all of you Super Blackhawk owners, here is a question for you.
I met a fellow reloader yesterday at the range and we chatted quite a bit. He had this problem.
He has a Super Blackhawk in 44 mag with either a 7 or 7 1/2 inch barrel. He said he can't shoot lead bullets in it because it leads up immediately. After the first round fired it accuracy gets increasingly worse. He has tried lubed bullets with each kind of lube, PC bullets, hard coated bullets. He has used hotter loads as well as lighter loads. Flat based bullets conical based ones, you name it he's tried it and still it leads. He said it leads from the forcing cone to about 3 inches down the barrel. He shot down every suggestion I could think of, having tried them all already. He has a friend who has a Super Blackhawk like his and the friend shoots lead all the time with no leading. I told him I would contact a Ruger tech and see if they could come up with any ideas. What do you guys think?

Remember this, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".

Old 08-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
SavageGuy

Liked 773 Times on 555 Posts

Default Leading

Are the bullets hard enough? How about sizing? Has he tried gas checks?

-John Marshall (4th Chief Justice of the Supreme Court)
Oldhand Likes This 
Old 08-13-2017, 02:23 AM   #3
phideaux
RT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4210 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 6960

I would bore slug the barrel. Then run slug back thru and see if first part of bore is tighter or looser than the rest of the bore.

But first contact Ruger.

Jim
squirrelhunter Likes This 
Old 08-13-2017, 03:43 AM   #4
MagnumBlackhawk
Patriot
RT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1121 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

Ruger's customer service is top notch. I agree with the idea of talking to them before going further.

The barrel on the SB I used to have was fairly rough.
Soft lead bullets leaded like crazy, even at lower velocities.
Hard Cast Lead Wide Flat Nose Gas Check bullets kept the leading down to a minimum at max velocity.

I've read that you must remove all jacket fouling before shooting lead bullets to avoid leading.
(I've never been able to remove all jacket fouling from any firearm so...)

Old 08-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
greg_r

Liked 224 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Leading at the forcing cone can be caused by the bullet being over sized and swaging down as it enters the forcing cone. It can also be caused by being out of time. In the latter case, the leading is on one side and the revolver normally spits lead. Yet another cause us a roughly formed forcing cone.

Leading after the forcing cone is almost always caused by a constriction in the barrel caused by too tight of a barrel-frame thread. Slug the bore, you will feel it getting tighter as you reach the area of the barrel-frame junction. This is an easy fix by fire lapping which will cure it in short order.
VThillman Likes This 
Old 08-15-2017, 03:33 AM   #6
silveradoman59

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGuy View Post
Are the bullets hard enough? How about sizing? Has he tried gas checks?
I suggested GC's, don't know if he's gonna try them. He said he's using 18 BHN and a friend of his suggested going down to 12 BHN. I told him I'd go harder. He said he's pushing them at less than 900 fps.

Last edited by silveradoman59; 08-15-2017 at 03:35 AM.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:34 AM   #7
silveradoman59

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
I would bore slug the barrel. Then run slug back thru and see if first part of bore is tighter or looser than the rest of the bore.

But first contact Ruger.

Jim
He's planning to slug the bore.

MB and greg_r, I'll pass your suggestions along to him, thanks to all.

Last edited by silveradoman59; 08-15-2017 at 03:39 AM.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
noylj

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

.44 Rem Mag:
I have shot thousands of full power .44 Rem Mag with my own cast 10-13 BHN bullets with NO leading.
In general:
Leading that starts at the forcing cone or at the beginning of the rifling is due to the alloy being TOO HARD or the bullet being TOO SMALL.
Leading that starts and follows the leading edge of the rifling is because the bullet is TOO SOFT or the velocity is TOO HIGH.
Leading that starts mid-way or later is because the lube has failed.
Now, for revolvers, you have an additional issue:
The bullet must, at a minimum, be a SNUG slip fit in the cylinder's throats. An undersized bullet will start gas cutting in the throat and things just get worse.
Next, the forcing cone needs to be reasonably smooth.
Finally, the bullet as it enters the rifling must almost always be at least 0.001" LARGER than the ACTUAL groove diameter.
So, if the gun meets SAAMi dimensions, the throats should be 0.4325-0.4365". Using bullets smaller than 0.4320" can lead to gas cutting even in the smallest throats SAAMI allows.
Next, the groove diameter should be 0.429-0.433", so the bullets should be 0.001" larger than this.
However, you will note that one can have the small throat and the large groove and have a gun that can't possibly shoot lead well unless the factory or gunsmith opens up the throats.
Finally, when I have leading with stupidly HARD alloys, a light tumble lube in LLA will cut the leading to nothing (or almost nothing).
SAAMi specifies a 0.4320" lead bullet, but I find that is often too small. That dimension is for safe operation in every gun, but isn't a good choice for most. Get larger bullets, after determining the throat and groove dimension, but, I must say, if coated bullets are leading, you have another issue (may be the forcing cone or improperly cured coatings).

Last edited by noylj; 08-15-2017 at 03:48 PM.